Canada Skilled Worker Immigration


If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience.

Minimum Requirements under this program are :
  • A temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or
  • A foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
  • Have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization
  • Apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada
  • According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
  • Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
  • Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
  • Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)
Your application will be assessed on two requirements if you apply as a temporary foreign worker:
  • Your work experience and
  • Your ability in English or French.

If you apply as a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution with Canadian work experience, it will be assessed using the above requirements, as well as your education.

Foreign skilled workers and professionals are greatly needed in Canada.
One of the objectives of Canadian immigration is to welcome skilled newcomers who will contribute to Canada's growing economy. Skilled workers that settle in Canada on a permanent basis are especially valuable to the Canadian workforce.

Successful applicants of the Skilled Worker Immigration programs will receive a Canadian Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa.

As a skilled worker or professional, there are several options for you to consider. You can either apply under the federal program or, if you know which province/territory in which you plan to reside, you can make your application through one of the provincial programs.

Federal Skilled Worker: For skilled worker applicants who intend to reside in province or territory, except Quebec
Quebec Skilled Worker: For skilled worker applicants who wish to immigrate the Province of Quebec
Provincial Nomination Programs (PNP) Skilled Worker: Many Canadian provinces have created specific skilled worker programs for those intending to live and work in their particular province or territory. These are fast-track Canadian Immigration (Permanent Residency) programs.

Canadian employers are actively seeking foreign skilled workers to join their workforce. If you can obtain a job offer from a Canadian employer, you may qualify for fast-track Canadian immigration application processing.

Visit the Work in Canada section for more details.

      The Law Society of Upper Canada logo is a trademark owned by The Law Society of Upper Canada.
Related Information